Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday 9 September 2011

1st day of P.E in yr 10: choices, choices...

Well, I gotta say I'm getting near the 100 pageviews. Thanks for everyone who read this. I appreciate the fact that some people have taken up interest in my blog. Hopefully we will get more.

Anyway. The reason I didn't write that much over this week is because I've started school, year 10. It's quite busy and I don't really have that much time and when I do have time I listen to music and read. About feminism, obviously.

What I'm going to write about is P.E in year 10 and how the teachers are sexist. I'm also going to speak about something that I heard from my mum and all feminist-related subjects.

When I got into the changing room, and changed, I thought about two things; one: my beep test (kind of resistance test); two: my choice for year 10. You see, it changes when you get into year 10. You will have to choose what you will do for one year and I think for year 11.

We had four choices: Two for qualifications and two for enjoyment. The two for qualifications were: Sportman leadership or something-something where you do football and teach small kids how to play; and another where you do the same thing but other kind of sports. The enjoyment choices: Gym where I think we are going to use the machines and do some dancing (yep, I choose Gym); and something else in the sports hall that I hate.

What has this to do with feminism? Well, the male teacher (that spoke about Sportman- hah, Sportman- leadership thing) only looked at the boys. No one glance at the girls. I thought about choosing the second choice but then I would have been the only girl and gotten sneered at. So I went with Gym. I guessed I would rather stay inside and do the machines, dance a little bit and get fit. But I really disliked the way the teacher ignored us. And when a another teacher told us about Gym/the other enjoyment thing she only looked at girls. Are they trying to put across the message that girls are weak and shouldn't do vigorous stuff and that boys are too tough to do something they might enjoy but are scared to be laughed at. Well, at least someone had the courage to go and do football and I'm proud of that girl. And it's not me.

Now, moving on to the story I heard. I heard from my mum, and I won't name anyone but make up names: Jane is the pregnant lady, Harry is her husband, Mr and Mrs K are her parents, Bob is her brother and Anna Bob's wife. It all be made clear now.

OK, so Jane got with Harry together because they loved each other. They married, and she is pregnant right now. But Harry started hitting her: domestic abuse. Her parents thought that she couldn't leave Harry as they are married and Jane is pregnant. But she finally left Harry and moved in with her brother, Bob and Bob's wife Anna.

OK, beforehand though I have to say I can't believe Mr and Mrs K could do that to their daughter they brought up and loved. If I was her mum, I would take her in and care for her. I wouldn't leave for Harry to beat her and Bob's mercy.

However, Bob isn't a great person either. He makes her work hard, clean for them, and remember she is pregnant and works hard at work. Instead Bob should let Jane rest and help her. But is this possible in a society with such men? We women have to be careful who we live with and should never be dependent on a man.

I have to say sorry for not writing about women in music industry and promised before. I'm going to do it tomorrow.

~Miruna

No comments:

Post a Comment