Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Saturday 27 August 2011

Way to go!

Woop! I read in a newspaper that girls are STILL doing BETTER than BOYS! WOOP! That is very good for us, girls, so keep going! Girl Power.

Anyhow, tonight I'm going to speak about becoming young adults. You go into school, you learn, you see more stereotypes and more double standards and you're taught your gender role. How? By your teachers (for example, teachers are more likely to tell a girl off for misbehaving; while boys are not told off as much- boys will always be boys...yeah, whatever), by your parents (young ladies DON'T walk that way, they DON'T talk that way; men don't cry, man up boy, stop being a girl), by the media (Ohmigod, size 0 is the new fashion girls!; boys, using girls as sex object is cool) and etc.

You are taught all these inequalities. And maybe there are positives in society. I'm not saying there are not. But there are so many negative examples, like double standards and glass ceiling effect that us women have to face everyday, whether we are teens, babies or adults (women are more likely to face glass ceiling effect than girls). But we still face it. Everywhere in the whole world.

As you get older and move onto college you might be encouraged to choose subjects like Art and English if girl; and Maths or ICT if a boy. This shows stereotypes: if a girl you should be "artistic", "gentle"; if you're a boy you should be "hard-working" and "intelligent"- furthermore girls should choose careers like teachers or nurse; boys should choose careers like doctors or lawyers. And those careers encouraged for girls don't earn as much as those for boys. Meaning for a lifetime boys while earn more than girls. It will take a lot of years to catch up with boys just because of the unfairness in the society.

You are also less likely to get a job if you're 21 and a woman; why? Because you might get pregnant at that age. And those companies don't want to lose money, do they? No, obviously not. So they won't choose you. They'll make some really random reason, because they are not allowed to do that. That? That is called glass ceiling effect which I mentioned on the 3rd paragraph. At the same time other factors could contribute: racism (if you're African, you might not get chosen) or because of your accent, etc. But more than less it's likely because of the fact that the nature gave you the ability to have babies. And it isn't even your fault. I mean, there is payed leave, but do companies want that? No. And you're less likely to get promoted.

So there's no wonder why women make less money that men. It's not even our fault; it's nature's way. We make babies because that's how we were born and made by God (if you believe in him, I don't know). This surely proves how unfair the society can be.

How does the media contribute to this? That's hard to say...maybe because when celebrities have babies they are not really put in a good light, being picked on weight and etc. This makes everything more stressful for women reading those magazines/newspapers/websites/watching news.

Why do more women choose not to have babies and concentrate on career than on family? I don't blame them, because I don't plan on having babies and being stuck in the house with less pay than my "future" husband/boyfriend/whatever. Because I don't like doing that. I like baking a cake...no, scratch that I can't. I like helping my Auntie/mum/whoever knows how to cook at home (by licking the cake mix? Is that even helping? Washing the plates...). But, unlike my mum/Aunties, I won't cook/bake for my husband/boyfriend, not just because I can't (I can learn), just because I'm not a slave. And that's why I help my mum, who is a single mum, because she is not a slave, and never will be. I won't cook, or clean up after him, because he has two hands, two feet and he can do it himself. If he can't? Then he can starve, smell like a bin outside in the summer rotting, I don't care because just because I'm a women doesn't make me his slave. End of. Goodnight.

****Next time? Who knows. I got a new hair-cut. Have a nice weekend everyone who reads this****

Comment. Follow. Tell your friends. Just do something, don't just read this! Thanks


(Yeah I'm just always going to say this even if people don't comment: don't insult, I don't insult YOU, I WON'T insult you, I'm just stating my opinion, i.e.: what I make of this world. I'm tired because I stayed up all night listening to music, so I don't know I might be even more harsher? Or I might make no sense. Whatever. I just HAD to write something.

~Miru)

No comments:

Post a Comment