Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday 26 August 2011

Double Standards and the Media

I read once in a book that the worst thing to call a boy is a girl. Furthermore the worst insult to call a girl is a girl. What I'm saying calling a boy a girl when they get hurt and cry and tell them to man up encourages stereotypes. Furthermore what I mean is that if you call a girl a b***h which means female dog it is a insult. What's wrong in that? Whoever does that says that girl is an insult to society. Which isn't right.


Double standards. At first I didn't know what that meant, but I saw double standards in every media I read or watched. Double standards affects us all, both males and females, and in my opinion is a bad thing in society. 


What IS double standards? If you don't already know what it is, or you haven't used Google yet, then double standards is when, for example, if you are male you're allowed to sleep around and won't be frowned upon, but if you're female it's not the same thing, because you're called a b***h, a w***e and a s**t. But not males, oh no no.

If you still don't understand what double standards is, this is what Google said: 
                 Noun: A rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups


And the different groups/people we're talking about now are girls and boys. The media influences this a lot, and in my opinion it is unfair. It teaches teenagers that boys are powerful and don't have to be afraid of the bad consequences while girls have to be careful where they step so they won't get a bad reputation.


The media always brings to our attention of teens mum's, and they are always shown in a bad light. Truthfully there are more middle-aged women having children than girls. So, really, the media is over-exaggerating. We shouldn't really be so negative towards teenage mum's and we should really HELP them. Understand them. Not shun them.


The newspapers, in the sports area, are always portraying woman like sex objects. They call them "babes" especially in the Sun newspaper. And number 3 girls? Hah! I think that is very wrong, again showing us that women are sex objects and only those with beautiful bodies should be given most attention. 


That is another issue, as it is double standards and it does have something to do with teens. Girl teens. Because it is more likely for girls to die from anorexia or bulimia than boys, by suicide or starving or overweight. I myself am overweight and I'm always under pressure thanks to the media. I am happy with my body, but I'm pressured by my family to lose weight so I can be perfect like those anorexic models. I'm not saying my mum wants me to be anorexic, but maybe media does. Why? Because they always show photos of anorexic models as being the perfect way.

In every magazines, and I usually ignore those pages because they are *******, they show how to lose weight. OH! Look, this celebrity went from size 18 to size 10 in two weeks; this woman went to size 0 in one month and so can you! Yeah, sure. I can try dying or I can be happy with my body and enjoy my food. I would rather to the later, because that is healthier than being anorexic. So, magazines, no thank you. I wish others would feel the same, because I don't like reading about young girls dying from dieting. You look nice the way you are, but if your doctor says you have to lose weight, then I'm afraid you do. With a balance diet. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. You have to eat to be healthy, but not too much of too bad i.e.: sweets and fizzy drinks. And do exercise. Run, play tennis, swim. Don't go over the top.


Lastly, because I really need to go and have something to eat, is that half of the teenagers thought that it was Rihanna's fault for getting beaten up by then her boyfriend Chris Brown. And I blame all that on media and what they teach us. More on that later:


****Next? More teens and now going onto to young adults...and the media****


(Like I said before, leave a comment etc but don't insult me in any way as this is my opinion and I'm not insulting YOU by writing on here. I'll just ignore your comment. However feel free to comment and question my ideas, I will try and reply.


~Miru) 

No comments:

Post a Comment