Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Monday 29 August 2011

Boys are stronger than girls...

...I would like to disagree. But first I would like to say sorry for not writing yesterday. I forgot. My bad. Actually I was watching The Da Vinci Code.

I heard the phrase "Boys are stronger than girls" a thousand of times, and a thousand of times I had debates with the people, mostly boys, who said that. If a girl said that, I would try my best not to slap her. Because it's wrong.

Boys might be physically stronger, as nature made them that way. But is violence the best? I mean, we can get out of trouble by using our minds, our intelligence. I might even go further and say that girls are more intelligent and more mature than boys, and instead of using our hands we use our brain. Which means we outsmart whoever and we also don't get in trouble with the law.

That's the first part of the whole debate. Have you ever thought it this way: girls are stronger than boys because of many factors. I'm going to make a small list.


  1. Do boys carry a heavy baby for 9 months? I don't think so. Either we decide to have a baby, or we don't (i.e.: rape, condom comes off etc) we still go through pain. We also lose a job if we are 21 and are likely to have a baby. We also have the pain of delivering the baby, and we might end up dead or our baby dies. Also we are frowned upon if we have an abortion. In my opinion, it's our body we do whatever we want as long as it doesn't hurt the society. Furthermore, let's say if a male had a baby and had an abortion the society wouldn't be against it.
  2. We have periods. I mean, it is easy right? Right? No. Boys don't know how it is to have periods. Especially at the beginning when, even if your mother tells you about it, you think you're bleeding to death. Furthermore it is very uncomfortable and sometimes you can't do things you enjoy, like going to the beach, if the period is heavy.
  3. Double standards. I spoke about this previously, but I'll state briefly what I mean. If boys sleep around, they are cheered on, encouraged to do again. As long as they don't leave the girl pregnant. But if girls do that and are found out, they are shunned from society. Or they are told off. Then killed. Or whatever, it is still different if you're a girl and if you're a boy.
  4. Expectations. Boys also are expected to be fit, but they are not pushed as girls are. What I mean is that  the most number of teens dying from anorexia (as said previously) are girls. Magazines, i.e.: media, tell girls that they have to be slim, beautiful, perfect, a sex object. Don't believe me? Ok then. Slim: look at a fashion/glamour magazine. Then count how many overweight models do you see? Or how many normal weight models do you see? Two, one, NONE? Beautiful: how many models do you see without make up? None. Perfect: look again. How many are not airbrushed? How many have spots, wrinkles? Not many. A sex object: this is simple. Look at page 3 on Sun newspaper. What do you see? A topless girl in a bikini. This is how media sees girls and teaches girls how to be. Nothing wrong with that, right? Wrong, because girls commit suicide because of this. Girls are pressured to be perfect. But perfection doesn't exist, because all girls are beautiful the way they are. 
So the conclusion? Boys and girls are different, and that itself is a beautiful thing. To be different, unique. To be you. Media should encourage imperfection, uniqueness. Boys might be stronger than girls in means of fighting, but girls are still powerful. Girls might cry at night, but next morning they will behave everything is alright. Girls have been strong all over history, and media should encourage girl power.

~Miru

    No comments:

    Post a Comment